Time has passed surprisingly quickly, can't believe chinese new year will be over soon. Do you celebrate chap goh meh/15th night/lantern festival. I have made some prawn, egg & chives dumplings before chinese new year holiday, wanted to share the recipe for so long, couldn't find time to update last week. Here i am again~
I love 餃子 / dumplings, all kind of chinese dumplings that filled with ground meat/prawn (especially, i just love shrimps) or just simply vegetarian dumplings (no matter its steamed, boiled or pan fried).
Starting by making dumpling wrappers from scratch. I love homemade wrappers, it taste so so much better than the store bought version
• 200g all purpose flour
• 100 ml lukewarm water
* (adjust the flour or water, according to need to get the correct consistency)
• 1/3 teaspoon salt
1. Sift all purpose flour & salt.
2. Add water little by little along into the dry ingredients, using a spatula to mix the mixture, until it forms a dough. Knead the dough by hand for about 10 minutes until the dough feels elastic and smooth.
3. Shape the dough in loaf, rest the dough at room temperature for at least 30 minutes, cover dough with damp cloth. Meanwhile, we can prepare the dumpling filling.
Ingredients for filling:
- bundle of fresh chinese chive
- 250g fresh prawn
- 3 free-range eggs (lightly beaten, pan fry & 'scrambled' the eggs)
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1/2 tbsp chicken stock
- 1tsp white pepper powder
- 1tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 2 stalks of scallion/ few slices of ginger (chopped)
1. Slowly add all the ingredients while swirling the spoon in one direction until evenly. Add the seasonings and mix for one more minute. Set the filling aside.
2. To fold the dumplings, fist lay a dumpling wrapper flat on palm. Then spoon about 1 tbsp of dumpling filling and place in the middle of the wrapper. Dip your fingertip in water and wet the entire edge of the wrapper. Folding up the dumpling filling and making sure that everything is sealed in nice and tight to create a half moon.
3. Place the dumplings in a deep pot of boiling water and cook for 8-10 minutes. (you can either steam, pan fry or boiling)
Oh yes, last but not least! Dipping sauce is very important for dumplings.
• 1 tbsp black/white vinegar• 1 tsp soy sauce
• rayu - a type of chili oil / sesame oil
• fresh chilli (thinly chopped)
• scallion (finely chopped)
• 1-2 tbsp soy sauce