Pan-fried shrimp cakes is of course in my favourite list! Here i share the simple recipe with you.
• 300 g medium shrimps (i took about 8 shrimps out then coarsely chop, the other are finely chopped)
• few slice of ginger (scrape away the skin, finely chopped)
• 1 spring onion (finely chopped)
• 3-4 shallots (I love the sweetness of shallot, finely chopped)
• 2 cloves of garlic (finely chopped)
• 5tbsp vegetable oil (i'm using sunflower with canola oil)
*(for another great option - we love adding in chopped carrots, water chestnuts; to give a bit more texture & crunchiness to the shrimp patties!)
• 1 egg white
• 1 tsp sesame oil
• 1 tsp chicken powder
• 1 tsp corn starch
• 1/2 tsp sugar
• 1/2 tsp salt
• a pinch of pepper
• 1 tsp shao xing wine
*(you can substitute with rice wine, i just simply love shaoxing wine, its more fragrant!)
1. First, remove and discard the vein; wash and drain the shrimps and pat them dry with paper towels.
2. Then lay the shrimp on a flat surface or chopping board, by using a slightly heavy knife, hit the shrimp's flesh until it lies flat and finely chopped it. (remember to take out 8 shrimps to coarsely chopped)
3. In a large bowl, mix together coarsely & finely chopped shrimp, minced ginger, spring onion, shallots, garlic and all the seasonings.
4. Combine all the ingredients well by stirring clockwise or anti clockwise, then marinate & chill until firm in the refrigerator for about 1 hour.
5. Here comes my favorite part! Heat up 5 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a pan (best to use non-stick pan) over medium-high heat.
6. Working in batches, fry the patties until cooked through and golden brown on both sides, adding more oil to the pan if needed, 3 to 4 minutes each side, total about 6 minutes.
* I forgot to take pictures for the frying process/stage, as i was too excited to see & taste the final outcome, very sorry ~ will try to take all the process picture next time. Hehe...
et voilà, ready to eat! Have a great start of the week, happy monday friends!